Saturday, April 30, 2005

What Googling Can Do for You

Despite recent claims to the contrary on other blogs (which shall here remain nameless), Googling prospective dates/mates/hates can result in a positive learning experience. As is usual with Google, what one begins searching for is soon replaced by a succession of other fascinating search and retrieval options. It's a bit like looking up words in the dictionary - or in my case, names in the phone book. (Remember, I am 78% nerd.) It's all about serendipity and the wonder of discovery; this is the beauty of randomized online research and internet stalking.

For instance, on a recent Google quest for some crucial sociological data, I inadvertently learned that the January, 1992 issue of Playboy featured a groundbreaking interview with the amazing comic genius Robin Williams, and that Woody Harrelson was the designated "stud man" of this memorable decade. Who knew?

More important than Google's function in the acquisition of cultural literacy is, perhaps, the power of Google to facilitate self-knowledge. In a recent session I learned that

* In 2004, my father (deceased since 1983) and his bookstore were the hapless victims of real estate fraud in Denver, CO.
* My mother is a minister of the United church of Religious Science in Vero Beach, FL.
* The last person I slept with is, in fact, not an indigent, über-Jewish, and neurotic UES playwright, but a successful Los Angeles screenwriter who freelances for the National Review. (I knew he was "a registered Republican," but this goes too far.)
* The first person I slept with is not a depressed Mexican-American office lackey with a Chevy Vega, once convicted for embezzlement and who never left my hometown, but a friendly, socially-adjusted photographer who occasionally teaches how-to workshops at the Timonium, MD branch of REI.

Thus, according to Google, I am likely a bookish, theistically-inclined, open-minded, trusting (and somewhat gullible) woman with a fondness for photography and a tendency to choose unsuitable bedmates ... Hello?!

2 Comments:

Blogger Karima said...

I broke my Googling people rule yesterday (not about a future date whose medicine cabinet I plan to snoop through instead) but out of curiosity as to the person sitting next to me on the train.

After we had a long pleasant chat, I happened to see his signature line in an email when he was typing on his laptop and I discoverd that the very talkative, friendly, old man next to me was indeed a state senator.

You know, according to DWTW, swedish bikini models are out of vogue now ("very september 10th"). The boys at DWTW have now moved onto desperate Icelandic women.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Lisa H. said...

See? Ask not what you can do for Google, ask what Google can do for you.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home