Thursday, July 07, 2005

It never falls far from the tree



So, apparently there is a morose gene, and a prediliction for myopic navel-gazing is an inherited trait. Who knew?

I don't remember this being covered in those 9th grade fruitfly experiments.

12/6/62, 3:10 am
I am keeping this journal as a record of my ideas, observations, and revelations pertaining to my life at the University of Pittsburgh.

11/7/88
This is my new journal.
I will try to purify my space and get the real feelings out.


1/6/63
I am depressed for the first time in many months. I have my health, but my mind is tired. In this world of beauty torn between evil, destruction, human misery, social prejudice, I have reached the time in my life where I must decide on a purpose. But what is the use: We’re born, we live, and we die and there’s nothing.

11/21/88
I ask so many questions that baffle me – that make the world so complicated and incredible and unfathomable. But then I get discouraged sometimes – I’ll never be worthy of its complexity, shifting depths, etc. Not only refusing to see I am a part of that “complexity,” but that I can answer those questions myself.


1/15/64
[still very naïve]
- Becoming more agnostic.
- Adopting many principles of Existentialism.
- Have become very pessimistic.
- Fear of death is growing.
- Live by my conscience – trouble is to find out what my conscience wants.

3/12/90
- Call Mom
- More cat litter (clumping)
- Go to gym
- Tibetan Book of the Dead (Protection from Fear bardo prayer)
- Copy Tracy Chapman record for spring break trip

1 Comments:

Blogger Karima said...

I wish I got the morose gene instead of the unibrow one.

Thank you for scientifically pointing out that there is yet more things we can blame our parents for. I, going forward, am going to blame them for everything now just in case they find a gene proving me right.

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home