Wednesday, June 15, 2005

In Search of Lost Time: Born Too Late, Wasted Youth, or How Can I Leave this Behind?

If you believe in astrology (or are just addicted to Em and Lo), then you will understand why each of these people and I have so much in common. I can't believe this information has only now come to my attention; if I'd known what illustrious and/or notorious company I keep, maybe I'd have done something valuable with my life - such as save the children - rather than ceaselessly parade my Google-assisted knowledge of meaningless factoids across the internets.




Henry VIII
An Institutional Management maverick: when he didn't like something, he used his imagination and cunning to change it, or have it beheaded. Some say he was fickle. I say, he just didn't want to settle.



Peter Paul Rubens
Single-handedly invented "bootylicious." (As opposed to Paul Rubens, who single-handedly acknowledged that "Everyone I know has a big butt" - among other things.)

Speaking of which ...


Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Revolutionary thinker. Talented writer and social critic. Incurable romantic. Spanko.




Richard Rodgers
(Not pictured here)
Who once knew all the words to all the songs in Oklahoma!? Who stayed up past her bedtime to watch the entirety of The Sound of Music every time it was on TV? Who has always wanted to be in an amateur production of Pal Joey (just for the title)? Who sang a screeching rendition of "A Cock-eyed Optimist" (South Pacific) for her 8th-grade musical audition? Who is a cock-eyed optimist?*
* Once again, I quote my friend Chris W.: "Lisa, you would make an excellent gay man."




Mel Brooks
Why, it's always Springtime for Hitler when I'm around! Ask anyone.

Jackie O.

Style, class, beauty - what's not to love? Plus, the Chinese thoughtfully put her on a series of $1M Hell notes. I should be so lucky.






Gilda Radner

As pictured here, at least 78% nerd - I rest my case, Todd.

4 Comments:

Blogger laura r. said...

lisa h., that is an EXCELLENT line-up!
I keep a list of everyone born on my birthdate too.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Karima said...

I also keep track of those types of things but somehow Dudley Moore doesn't have the same zing nor do the events...Waco or Oklahoma City Bombing (seriously). April 19th. But I did miss Hitler's by one day - that's something, right?

4:53 PM  
Blogger Kurt said...

Joan Rivers and I have a lovely time every June 8. Just not together.

Remember, too, that in Hell, it's always Hitler's birthday.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Lisa H. said...

* Turks defeat the Serbs and rule for next 500 years, from whence sprang the ottoman, loveseat, and 3-pc. sectional.
* Archduke Franz Ferdinand executed ->WWI
* Versailles Treaty (end of WWI, humiliation of Germany which lays emotional groundwork for WWII)
* First transatlantic flight by a commerical airline (Pan Am's Dixie Clipper)
* Countless events destabilizing "Indochina," and, later, the pull-out of US forces from war-ravaged Cambodia. Coincidence? I think not.
* Independence for the Seychelles!
* Ernesto "Che" Guevara's remains are discovered. Che, your dream will not die!

This is just a selection of June 28th events. But this day is not unique. Remember: on every day, something happened in history.

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home