Wednesday, August 10, 2005

And now for something sort of different ...



First Tomatoes

This is the first large tomato from my garden. It is from a a volunteer that came up in my plot this spring - I think it is the Russian Black from Tula variety, which I grew last summer. It's supposed to look that way.

The yellow cherry tomatoes are also from volunteers that I found growing in the path and replanted. The larger, dark yellow ones were growing in the plot next to mine last year, and the little, lemon-colored tomatoes are a complete mystery to me. But they're good.

I also planted several heirloom seedlings - Black Krim, Marvel Stripe, and Brandywine - which I purchased, but so far they haven't produced any ripe fruit, or much fruit at all. I started some heirloom seedlings but I don't remember what they are, so when they bear fruit it will be a big surprise. The other volunteers I replanted (3-4) are, so far, of unknown provenance. It will be interesting to see what they turn out to be.

For dinner, I ate the Black from Tula and some of the yellow cherries with slices of fresh mozzarella from a local Italian deli, basil from my garden, olive oil, and a spoonful of the $30 balsamic vinegar I splurged on a month ago. Unfortunately, the Black from Tula was a little watery and bland, which is strange, because it's been very hot and not at all rainy. It's supposed to be a very flavorful tomato. My disappointment was somewhat quelled by the cherries, which were mild and sweet, the fresh cheese, the olive oil, and the overpriced balsamic vinegar.

I used to hate tomatoes.

4 Comments:

Blogger Karima said...

As you have seen in my garden, nearly all of my plants qualify as volunteers, unfortunately none to date have produced a tomato or anything else that goes with fresh cheese, olive oil or overpriced balsamic vinegar.

p.s. remind me to let you taste my overpriced balsamic one day. It's near perfection.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Kurt said...

Have you been out there this morning? Right now I see a couple of big ones that look really tasty.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Lisa H. said...

You may not know this, but some parts of the pine tree are edible.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Hogg said...

Damn those yellow cherries were fine! Thanks, Lisa H!

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home