Wednesday, September 14, 2005

While I was Out


I'm posting this from my Dell Optiplex GX240 Standard-issue CUNY computer. CUNY means "City University of New York." In laymen's terms, I still work in the Bronx. (Nothing has changed except the nature and location of the work, the increase in hours, and the significant decrease in pay.)

Nevertheless, things are looking up. The lightning-fast browsing speed and unbeatable efficiency of Pentium 4 technology coupled with the groundbreaking Windows XP OS on this machine are just some of the many benefits I enjoy working at my new (albeit possibly temporary) job. Others include:

  • it's something to do and some place to go
  • I work with nice people
  • one day, though not soon, I expect a paycheck
  • in theory, I am doing work that will, in some trickle-down way, "help people"
  • all the office supplies I can pilfer (I especially love those coated paperclips that come in many colors


    People have been complaining to me, both on- and off-blog, about putting up a new post already. Hello people! Working all day, plus a 90-minute commute each way, takes a lot of funny out of a person. When I finally get home and I'm hungry, tired, and the cat won't stop head-butting me in the face, the last thing I really want to do is rack my brains for something humorous and insightful to discuss - especially with little to no provocation from others. Last night, I had to vote, too. Not only did my vote count for nothing, I almost missed the season premiere of Gilmore Girls!

    So leave me alone, already. Sorry to burst all of your bubbles, but Bloygevalt does not merely exist to please you, its readers. Sometimes, Bloygevalt must meet my needs. Most of the time, these needs involve letting everything slide until I give up and go home. This is the life of a working stiff. Get used to it.
  • 7 Comments:

    Blogger Kurt said...

    The season premiere was lackluster.

    I liked this abusive post. Would it be too much for you to write a fresh, reader-abusing post each day?

    9:47 AM  
    Blogger Lisa H. said...

    Kurt:
    I agree re: the season premiere. Plus, that Rory seems to be getting an attitude.

    On your other comment - I'm glad you enjoyed it. One question: Why is an explicit assertion of my wants and needs interpreted as abusive?

    What's the matter with you people?

    1:45 PM  
    Blogger Mayo said...

    Go sista soul sista, paper pushers get all the leftovers.

    2:39 PM  
    Blogger Karima said...

    re: office supplies pilfering

    what have you taken? and does that make you normal?

    p.s. if they really have "The Office Space" red staplers there, grab me one.

    2:59 PM  
    Blogger Lisa H. said...

    Who said anything about being miserable?

    Sometimes, not funny is just not funny.

    4:26 PM  
    Blogger Frankkumon said...

    Yeah, working stiff...with a posh, pre-owned memory foam mattress. Hello?

    9:29 PM  
    Blogger Lisa H. said...

    FYI: Karma

    re: office supplies pilfering

    11:15 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home