Sunday, October 02, 2005

An Education Proven Worthy

Or, Some Famous Maiden Aunts of English Literature.
A Comedy of Manners in which
the Heroine finds her Place in the World At Last

What with all of my selfish complaining lately about spinsterhood and sexual frustration, I've forgotten the One True Purpose of sexual congress. This is what it's all about, people. Ask anyone.

Furthermore (if I may be so presumptuous), I can now count myself among some illustrious company, including:
  • Jane Austen
  • Dorothy Wordsworth
  • Emily Dickinson
  • Louisa May Alcott
  • Eudora Welty

    Other "fictional" role models include:
  • Aunts Abby and Martha Brewster
    Joseph Kesselring's Arsenic and Old Lace
  • Aunt Helen
    T.S. Eliot
  • Aunt Elizabeth
    Tennyson's The Princess
  • Aunt Julia
    Joyce's The Dead
  • Tom Sawyer's Aunt Polly
  • The Spinster Aunt
    Dickens' Pickwick Papers

    They may have died sick, miserable, and alone, but each achieved the esteem and admiration of the literary establishment, before being abandoned to history and the reading public's growing taste for low-brow works such as the newspaper serial Fear Factor, A Gothick Novel in Six Parts; Extreme Makeover Whore Edition: Merkins, White Lead, and Mercury; as well as neoclassically-tinged exposés like Girls Gone Wild: The Real Story of Homer's Odyssey.

    Rest assured, despite my heretofore stated ambitions and natural impulses to the contrary, I fully expect to realize this fate by
    1) never writing anything that nets shitloads of money, unbelievable popularity, or Pamela Anderson-esque fame (in my lifetime) - except for what appears in this blog
    2) never marrying or producing children
    3) contracting tuberculosis, Addison's disease, or dropsy
    4) from this point forward, eschewing the spotlight, ceasing my narcissitic attempts at self-aggrandizement, and relenquishing any pretenses to self-love
    5) having a years-long, tragic, and very secret love affair with someone who shall not be named, which will not be discovered until long after my untimely death by an unsuspecting young descendant researching her family tree for a sixth-grade history assignment, and which will change everyone's mind about me, preferably for the worse.
  • 5 Comments:

    Blogger Karima said...

    As an added bonus, some of the cures for The Dropsy include burying yourself in dung and bloodletting.

    7:06 PM  
    Blogger Lisa H. said...

    The question is, EGIT, did you recognize me right off, or only after I turned those loud guys at the bar into pigs?

    6:43 PM  
    Blogger Lisa H. said...

    Or so you think. BTW, have you taken a look in the mirror lately?

    2:29 PM  
    Blogger Frankkumon said...

    My worn VHS copy of Aenid Action: Wet Toga Bacchanal lists a script credit to one "Lisa H." Methinks you are down-playing your accompliments to feed an over-burdened martyr complex. That dialogue is HOT!

    4:02 PM  
    Blogger Lisa H. said...

    OK, you've got me.
    And in case you were wondering - yes, I also had something to do with "Talk dirty to me: Plato and Socrates tell it like it is"; "Sex and Sexibility," and "Oliver's Fist."

    4:40 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home